WHY SO STUPID?


JOHN - THE MUSICAL MAESTRO


EVERY DREAM COMES WITH A PRICE TAG!



The topic that i am going to discuss in this post is a redundant one. I have harped on this topic to anyone who has been unfortunate enough to be within listening distance. I myself have had enough of this one. I have decided to put an end to my musings on this particular subject. But i needed one last post where i could express all my displeasures and be done with it. Here it is......

Everything that i want to express has be summed up beautifully in a single quote that i read recently -


It's so hard when i have to, and so easy when i want to!!

I gave up my passion for english and took up a software engineering course because everyone told me that the IT and COMPUTER fields had a lot of scope and prospect!! SCOPE??? PROSPECT??? What does that mean?? To put it bluntly it meant an assured job with a good salary! So i sold my soul to the devil for the sole purpose of the comforts provided by a high paid job. For the past four years i have been living a nightmare, studying subjects that i neither like nor love. I never had any interest in it and hence had to force myself to study. Hence I had to put in double the effort.I never learnt anything from these subjects but i took up a lot of efforts to ensure that i passed all subjects and was eligible for placement. But now.....

In retrospect, all my efforts appear to be futile and i appear to be the stupidest person on earth. Its never easy to do something you dont love... forcing yourself to like it and then doing it takes double the effort.... I would have been happy if i atleast had some prospects of getting a job... After all, thats what i worked so hard for.. But considering the current economic situation, that seems unlikely.. Thanks to the recession,Obama and the Sathyam debacle, my placement prospect appears to be really bleak!! Now where does that leave me?? I give up my passion and toil for four hard years but what do i get in the end?? A rotten fruit?? All of a sudden i realize that i have been working for nothing... All my efforts have gone down the drain... Suddenly they tell me that all my efforts are useless... I gave up my dream for nothing... I am not alone... I am just one of those countless number of people who unwittingly traded their hearts' desire for a good job... We cant be blamed either.. Till now it has appeared to work.. All our seniors did the same and they got away with it... They got a good job and outwardly appear to be happy...

There are civil engineers out there who actually dreamt of becoming musicians and there are musicians out there who wanted to be engineers... And there are many others whose dream and profession are exact opposites.... Personally i myself would give anything if i could be studying B.A.Literature now and there would be quite a few studying B.A. Literature who dreamt of doing an engineering course but ended up doing B.A.Literature because all the engineering seats were filled up by people like me!!! Now just imagine.........

If at all i get a job as an engineer and that guy(doing B.A. Literature) i mentioned above becomes an english teacher or journalist, how well do you think we both will do our jobs?? Do you think we will go that extra mile to ensure that we do our jobs well ??? Or would we ensure that we do just enough work to retain our jobs???

Now whom do we blame for this???

BLAME THE SOCIETY!!

In our society we have a very bad problem of identifying the person by his job. A person's job has become his identity card in the society... Worse still a man's job preceedes his name. When i thought about this, i was shocked. I dont know my milkman's name. We just call him milkman in our house. That applies for most of the cases.... And in some cases it is considered respectful to call a person by his profession than by his name... Imagine calling your school principal by his name!!! Isnt that shocking?? Dont we end up giving more importance to a person's job than the person himself??

I always ask a lot of silly questions.. One such question i asked during my twelfth board exams - I got fed up of studying for the board exams... I asked my father -"Why should i study?? Why should i go to a job?? Incidentally my uncle had come home at that time... My father called my uncle and asked him"When you went to see your bride, what was the first question they asked you??" My uncle replied"What is your job?? How much do you earn???" Well that was more than enough for me.. No wonder i ended up scoring a high percentage in my twelfth board exams!!! No wonder so many people in this society study for the sake of a job. Actually what we study should determine our job. Nowadays the job determines the nature of our studies!!! And what happens when we dont get a job?? What is the use of studying then?? It is similar to standing in a queue to book tickets. We stand in the queue that appears to be moving faster than the other ones.. Similarly we choose a job that appears to provide the maximum amount of remuneration.

Another reason why people take up jobs that they hate is because of the remuneration it provides. Especially in India there is a clear demarcation between courses that have a lot of scope and courses that dont... As far as we keep doing this, there is going to be no hope..

Just imagine what would have happened if Sachin had considered a job status to be more important than his dream... He might have ended up as a clerk in some Mumbai bank!! Metaphorically speaking, what we people are doing is similar to making A.R.Rahman sing in the streets begging for petty cash... We fail to nurture our dreams.... Instead we trade our dreams for the sake of petty cash and a job status. We study to get a job and we go to a job to earn money.... Isnt that wrong?? Arent we all barking up the wrong tree?? Every job has its own difficulties and its only the love for a job that can help a person to persevere through the tough times. There is something called JOB SATISFACTION!! How many working people have got that???

Today there are so many people out there working in banks who could have been A.R.Rahmans.... So many people working as engineers who could have been J.K.Rowlings....... My friend John is a musical genius... He is studying software engineering with me.... Happen what may he is surely going to become a music director in the future... But think of the years wasted now... If he hadnt taken up software engineering, he might as well be composing music for ENTHIRAN film now... Instead he is forced to study java and he fulfills his dreams by composing christmas carols during his free time(I have added his photo at the beginning of this post... If you happen to see him, dont forget to get his autograph... Five years from now, that autograph will be a priceless possession!)

I agree that not all those who follow their dreams succeed.... Incase i had followed my dreams, there is no guarantee that i would have become the authtor of a best selling book. I might have as well be running from one publisher to another trying to get my manuscripts published and begging for an everyday meal..... But one thing is for sure.... I would have died without any regrets... I might still be an unpublished author when i die but i would have been happy...

It is always easy to satisfy our hunger and our need for praise by giving up our heart's desire. You can stuff your stomach with everything you want and all the people around you will call you a successful person.. But when you are alone, you will realise that your success is just a humbug.. With every beat, your heart will remind you of all that you could have been but you never were... because you let your stomach win over your heart... That one regret is worse than all the failures in the world....

Let us ensure that atleast the future generation gets a chance to follow their dreams.If at all we have children or come across children who are on the verge of choosing their career, let us vow to take every effort possible to ensure that they take up what they love....

MONEY...... JOB...... STATUS.... POWER.....

NONE OF THE ABOVE(OR ANYTHING ELSE FOR THAT MATTER) CAN EVER BE A COMPENSATION FOR GIVING UP YOUR DREAMS!!!

LIVE YOUR DREAM...... BE WHAT YOU WANT TO BE!!!!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails